We are Here to Help You Start, Relocate or Expand Your Business in Rutland County, VT!
Rutland County is a 939 square mile area encircled by mountains with the valley being 540 feet above sea level. The broad valley contains rich agricultural fields, orchards, pastures and meadows. The area is easily accessible by road, rail or air and features one of Vermont’s largest cities. The region defines lifestyle – with terrific schools, friendly helpful people, a feeling of safety – and unparalleled natural beauty.
Peter Shumlin is a small business owner, public servant and father of two from Putney, Vermont.
A committed entrepreneur, Peter was the longtime co-director, along with his brother, of Putney Student Travel and National Geographic Student Expeditions, a company that sends students on educational programs and service projects across the globe. He is also a partner in several real estate companies that provide housing and commercial space in Southeast Vermont.
His career in public service began almost 30 years ago when at the age of 24 he was elected to serve on the town’s select board. In 1990, Governor Madeleine Kunin appointed Peter to fill an empty seat in the Vermont House of Representatives, where he served for 3 years. He then served Windham County for 8 terms in the VT Senate and was elected by his colleagues to lead the Senate as President pro tem the majority of that time.
As Governor, Peter is determined to get tough things done. Since his inauguration, he has been working hard to create jobs for those who need them and raise incomes for those who have jobs, control skyrocketing health care costs, expand broadband and cell service to every corner of the state, reduce recidivism, invest in quality education opportunities, and rebuild our roads and bridges. Taken together, these and other key goals represent an ambitious agenda to create a brighter economic future for Vermonters.
Peter, 56, is the father of two daughters Olivia, 21, and Rebecca, 20. In his free time he enjoys running, hiking and cross country skiing. He likes to fish, hunt and garden and can sometimes be found spreading manure and cutting hay at his farm.
Peter is the 81st Governor of Vermont.
Proximity to Major Markets
Top Reasons to Build Your Business in Rutland County, VT!
Highly Productive Workforce
- Highly trained and skilled workforce
- A sampling of industry sectors – aviation, specialty food, wood products, mining, manufacturing and electronics assembly
Quality of Life
- Ranked safest state in the country
- Ranked 2nd healthiest state in the country
- Proximity to major markets: New York City – 260 miles, Montreal – 162 miles, Boston – 170 miles, Philadelphia – 333 miles
- Infrastructure – roads, passenger and freight rail, passenger and freight air service (direct passenger flights to and from Boston daily), public transportation system, strong telecommunications network with additional significant investments being made in
- Energy – solar power is here and natural gas is on the way!
- Quality healthcare
- Fiber Optics
4 Colleges and a Strong Tech Center Locally
- Castleton College
- College of St. Joseph
- Green Mountain College
- Community College of Vermont
- Stafford Technical Center
- Ranked 5th highest best-educated state in America
Shovel Ready Sites
- Already permitted – Rutland Airport Business Park has over 75 acres ready for you to build your business
“Can Do” Attitude with Access to Officials at the Local, Regional and State Levels
- Competitive local and state incentives
- Taking 18 days to re-build Route 4 after Hurricane Irene is our “Can Do” – “Get it Done” attitude. It’s all about the people that live and work in our community along with state and local government that make things happen!
- We will ask, What can we do for you? And never, What can you do for us? It is just the Vermont way…It is what we do and who we are that sets us apart!
- Can you sit down with your state officials to talk about your business needs? In Vermont, you can!
...And if you happen to like the outdoors we have a little something to offer there too...
- Killington Resort and The Lakes Region are in your back yard!