We’ve been hearing from many businesses and community members over the past few months about the importance of marketing our region by sharing stories about what makes our region great. We are excited to be working with partners like the Rutland Region Chamber of Commerce, Killington-Pico Area Association, Killington Resort, Downtown Partnership, the City of Rutland, Rutland Young Professionals, the I Love Rutland campaign, and many more on doing just that. Stay tuned for more news on this work in the coming weeks.
In the meantime, we encourage you to learn about the many marketing and tourism resources available through the State of Vermont. In addition to the Economic Development Marketing Plan (check out this job opening), the State of Vermont provides lots of resources to help you market your business through press releases, event pages, social media, trade shows, and more.
Hilary DelRoss of the Vermont Department of Tourism & Marketing recently visited our offices and shared these tips, including some detailed instructions about how to get your event posted on the statewide events page:
- Check out the Agency of Commerce & Community Development page.
- Learn about marketing Vermont through these channels: VermontVacation.com, Vermont Travel Planner, Trade Shows/Special Events, Vacation Packages.
- Submit photos and video to the Vermont Department of Tourism & Marketing. VDTM is always looking for high-res photos and video that we can use in our digital and print marketing. Please be sure you have the rights to share these with us for our use and sharing with other tourism partners. You can upload them here: VDTM uplink.
- Work with the Vermont Department of Tourism & Marketing:
- Kathleen Kolva, Sales Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please contact Kathleen if you are interested in participating in trade shows, sales missions, and volunteering at the Big E.
- Philip Tortora, Communications Director: email@example.com. Please contact Phil regarding press releases, the opportunity to host a fam visit, and exciting posts for Vermont Tourism social media.
- Hilary DelRoss, Heritage and Recreation Specialist: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please contact Hilary for more information regarding Vermont’s Byways program, the Vermont Ambassador and Info Center program, and cultural heritage, agritourism, or recreational tourism opportunities.
- Share events with the world on the statewide events page at VermontVacation.com/events has been upgraded to an easy to use, free, self-service upload tool called Everwondr.
- To add events, go to https://vermontvacation.com/events and click on the red + Add Events button. Before you can enter an event, you’ll have to register as a new member of Everwondr. Follow the link to register to use this free-to-you Everwondr service. Once you create an account, you’ll have to respond to a “confirmation e-mail” sent to the email address used to create your account, confirming your registration. Once you confirm, you’ll be able to add events immediately.
- There are a number of great functions such as auto-fill of your basic information and the ability to post event series, post images and video, and link events directly to Facebook and Twitter. Everwondr also has excellent customer service. Once you are registered, you can see their instructions at http://everwondr.com/helpdesk and request technical assistance by clicking on the red SUBMIT TICKET button, if needed.
- Regarding the auto-fill function, this only works if you have registered your business or organization with the Vermont Travel Planner. Registration is being managed by the Vermont Chamber of Commerce, and requires a one-time fee of $25 to cover administrative costs. To join, email Bryson Lowry at email@example.com.
- And one last word – we recommend that you include an photograph when posting your events. Images must be in jpg format, can be up to 2MB, and ideally should measure 600×375. The Everwondr Help Desk explains how to add images or to crop images of different measurements
- If you have any questions about this process, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Hilary.DelRoss@vermont.gov or Jerri.Lamson@vermont.gov.
Photo: Kathleen Kolva, Sales Manager at the Vermont Department of Tourism and Marketing, representing Vermont at the Travel and Vacation Show in Ottawa, Ontario last spring. Credit: Vermont Department of Tourism and Marketing.